Bradford Jacob of Virginia serves as president of EPC Consulting, LLC. Despite having a humid subtropical climate, Virginia is home to a handful of venues where Bradford Jacob can pursue his hobby of skiing. Here is a sampling of locales that will appeal to skiers.
1. Wintergreen Resort: Located in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, Wintergreen Resort draws skiers with a mountain that rises to 3,515 feet and comprises 25 trails. The resort houses both a terrain and a tubing park, the latter of which is the largest in the state.
2. Bryce Resort: This Basye, Virginia, resort consists mostly of beginner trails, making it a good destination for new skiers. Bryce does maintain some intermediate and advanced trails, however, and highlights of the mountain include a 3,500-foot run.
3. Massanutten Resort: Guests of Massanutten can take in picturesque views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. More important to skiers, Massanutten’s mountain offers a higher vertical rise than any other venue in Virginia.
4. Omni Homestead Resort: Home of both the Sepp Kober Ski School and a learning program for children, Omni’s ski area caters primary to the beginning and intermediate skier. Located in the Allegheny Mountains in Hot Springs, the area typically opens in January and February.
5. Liberty Mountain Snowflex Centre: Located on the campus of Liberty University, this nontraditional destination allows for year-round skiing thanks to a synthetic snow-like material known as Snowflex. The first such area in the United States, the complex offers slopes of varying difficulty on a 5,000-acre mountain.